Sunday, March 21, 2010

This little piggy...

...went to the monthly Maple Road Farmers' Market, in Surbiton, yesterday and had lots of fun - despite the downturn in the previously promising spring weather.

I made a start by rushing to the wonderful Secretts Farm stall for the deep, dark bunches of beetroot, (three varieties), all tied-together with string; perfect for my morning energy boost, juiced-to-order (by me), along with ginger root and organic carrot. Yum! Then again, perhaps I'll save some to use in my grated raw salad and enjoy it with sliced tomatoes and tuna...


I won't neglect the greens, in my salad, by adding my self-selected, freshly-picked leaves...


Then, I'll dress my vibrant vitamin-hued plate-of-health with the most delicious extra virgin olive oil - recently harvested and newly pressed - just brought over from Eastern Sicily, by charming Janet Howes-Signor and her Italian-born husband, Danilo. The dressing will be fittingly enhanced by the lemons they gifted me (also plucked from their Sicilian garden of delights) with my purchase.

For a decadent finale (and sweet inspiration) take a look at lovely Sacha Leake's pretty-as-a-picture Pantry Cupcakes - perfect for almost any celebratory occasion or simply as an indulgent personal treat.


Surbiton Farmers' Market takes place, from 9am-1pm, in Maple Road - on the third Saturday of each month.

No comments: