Monday, November 10, 2008

New Etiquette

I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering where politeness, awareness or consideration have vanished to, sometimes... As you do, I was out-and-about running errands, when I wandered into Primark, to discover the 'wonders' of their latest economically viable offering. As I was trying on a coat, a woman passing-by (completely oblivious with no spatial awareness, whatsoever) banged right into me with her large bags.

"Excuse me", I muttered (perhaps stupidly). "What happened?" she said, astonished. "You knocked into my legs, with your bags" I replied, in a calm, matter-of-fact tone of voice. "It was only a box!" she countered "I didn't break your leg did I, so it doesn't matter!" OK, so am I supposed to gather that the new 'etiquette' is that unless you break a limb there's no need to say anything or consider a teeny word of apology? Feel free to barge away on the dodgem car ride of life? Strange, but in my world, a simple "sorry", or just a little awareness, would have sufficed - it did slightly amuse me, at the same time though... (especially as my leg wasn't broken!)

By the way - obstacle course, or not - Primark's pretty black lacy jacket, skirt and coat (for the party season) are impressively stylish and deceptively 'designer' in appearance...

No comments: