Sunday, July 11, 2010

Blue Sky Thinking

You won't hear many complaints, from me, about the beauteous weather we've been enjoying in sunny London town.  I love a warm day, with a sunny blue-hued sky, and even enjoy gazing at the occasional cuddly cloud or two.  So, I've been relishing lots of long riverside walks and hilly rambles in the park - bliss!

Admittedly, it's not too conducive to spending much time slaving over a hot stove.   Light(ish) food is the order of the day and I'd been keenly waiting to try the new product (below) when I learned that it was about to appear on British shelves.  Although I'm not the greatest egg fan, I do enjoy a hard-boiled example, in a Salade Nicoise, and - for something a little more indulgent - an occasional frittata can be a delight.  Two Chicks is a carton of 15 pasteurised egg whites - now available in the chill-section of many UK supermarkets.  At £2.89, it offers decent value.

Nutritionally-sound, it's high in protein, low-calorie, fat and cholesterol-free - the ideal post work-out, muscle replenishing, re-fuel.  The carton keeps in the fridge for up to seven days, once opened; it provides ample supplies for several generous omelettes or light, hot-weather frittatas.  I created mine in a non-stick pan (lubricated with a little olive oil), adding some pre-cooked leaf spinach, enhanced with fresh grated nutmeg, salt and pepper, and a touch of tomato purée, on the side.  Adapt the idea to include your preferred vegetables such as peppers, mushrooms or tomatoes; lovely with your favourite salad leaves and a (slightly) indulgent chilled glass of refreshing sauvignon blanc.

I remained within savoury realms, while trying the product, but you can let your imagination run-riot and create meringues, pavlovas and soufflés, if you're that way inclined...

I indulged my sweeter side with another product I'd been looking forward to tasting.   The vogue for sea salt caramel, in the chocolatier world, has led to Lindt producing a dark chocolate tantalisingly embellished with a sprinkling of sea salt.  The 100g bar contains 47% cocoa solids (not as high as I normally like); with the salty 'kick' more pronounced than I had anticipated.  It makes for a successful marriage, enhancing the richness of the cocoa and offering a taste of the unexpected.  At 510 calories per bar, a couple of pieces make a perfect post-meal sweet treat or mini snack boost.

No comments: