Saturday, June 21, 2008

SATC - The girls are back!

Took me a few weeks to get around to seeing the film and although I had been looking forward to it I wasn't sooo desperate that I had to see it on the opening night.  A downside was that it was hard to completely avoid all 'spoilers' so if you don't want any inklings or revelations - look away now...

When the film first started it seemed unreal, weird, strange to see the girls so large - on the BIG screen - I soon got used to it though.  What really jarred for me a little way in, was how Carrie reacted on the Big Day when she ran into Big after he had let her down, hugely.  He apologised, attempted to explain and said he was ready to go-ahead now but all she could do was to hit him and the car - repeatedly - with her bouquet of white roses, until they were ruined... then to run-off crying, with her life in ruins.   Hmmm, great imagery and for dramatic effect, perhaps, but NO, sorry, Carrie would not have behaved like that (although as my friend said there wouldn't have been a story or the film without that)...  So, from then on one had to slightly suspend belief and go with it...  Not so sure Miranda would have behaved so radically with Steve either...

Of course, the clothes, along with the famous four, were the stars of the show.  Vivienne Westwood's wedding gown was magnificent and looked great on SJP (not so sure about the make-up and dead bird head-dress) but she was picture perfect in her ultimate, simple, vintage- chic wedding finery.  Carrie's assistant was adorable, charming and a usefully semi-pivotal new character. The super-starring vibrant blue Blahnik's were truly magnificent; took me back to my days in Paris and my treasured pair of electric blue Tokio Kumagai's... Those were the days! Amazing and impressive product placement for Pret a Manger towards the end of the film with Carrie and Miranda munching on lunch in the park...

No comments: