Friday, December 18, 2009

Lord Seb's top running tip


This is one item that comes firmly under the category of things I wish I'd known earlier...

Listening to Lord Seb Coe, on Radio 4's Desert Island Discs, the other day, I was intrigued to hear him talking about the way his father trained him, to enhance his medal-winning running prowess. Seb related how he was set super-challenging tasks running up hills but emphasised how his dad would always collect him in the car, rather than ever allow him to run down hill. Lord Coe explained how downhill running is when the majority of damage occurs to joints, through jolting/jarring.

It completely brought home, to me, how I had hurt my back - cue violins - through downhill running in Richmond Park, a couple of years ago - something I'm still 'paying' the consequences of, today. How I miss my regular long runs and super-fitness. My schedule is now mostly at the gym (not such great scenery)... Hope Seb (and I) can prevent some of you from incurring avoidable damage...

PS Pic shows Richmond Park (just beyond Ham Gate) in all her winter glory

No comments: