Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A modern dilemma

I had a curious experience yesterday evening that left me baffled. Walking along by the local library, I was approached  by a twenty-something man who launched into a rapid-fire conversation, in an eastern European language I didn't recognise. 

At first, I thought he was speaking to his female companion, until I became aware that his words were directed at me.  I looked at him and he continued to talk-away - rapidly - in his local tongue with his friend standing to the side, observing.  They were a reasonably well-dressed couple, with shopping bags, they didn't appear in distress.  I could only respond to the guy, in English, that I had no idea what he was talking about.

The incident kept me thinking.  Today, there are so many scams around, we often hear that the perpetrators are from Eastern Europe, so I feel obliged to keep my wits about me and have a wariness.  It's a sad reflection on modern society.  I like to think that I'm a kind, open-minded person but I've had to adjust my attitude lately and react more cautiously, or as life today would suggest - sensibly. I remain baffled though, curious to know what their situation was and what they wanted...

No comments: